Every little bit helps.

A A A A Author Topic: New Windows 7 Computer  (Read 2030 times)

Lost Boy

•  
  • CS Depot's the best!
New Windows 7 Computer
Post #1     : September 20, 2013, 07:47:53 PM
 :(  My older Windows XP got a virus and finally died.  I got a brand new custom Windows 7 computer.  I am used to downloading custom scenery from here with no problems.  Since this is a new Computer I needed to load up with Custom Scenery so I download a bunch of ZIP files onto my desktop.  I then did the ZIP thing and when I opened the ZIP files I noticed that a lot them did not have Folders but just the OVL files.  I knew that each of these had to have a folder named the same as the files so I created folders for each CS file named the same as the main name that was on each CS file.  I moved the folders into STYLE/THEMED like always, but when I decided to test them by opening the game.  As far as I could tell ever thing I moved to that folder crashes the game.  The is no message as to why it just closes.  Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?  And why are 90% of the zip files contain no folders just the individual OVL files even though the ones that have TXT files say to simply move the folder named XXXXXX into the Style/Themed folder.  I spent a lot of time doing a lot of manual folder creations and then copying the OVL files into the folder.  Is there something different about the way the game works in Windows 7?

So nobody knows about Window 7 & how it affects downloading zip file without folders that need to be in the files to put in the game?  Every file I have ever downloaded from here has always had a folder that contained the files needed to put in the Style/Themed folder and now they just seem to have the .ovl files.  All but two of the files crashed the game.  Only 2 out of 52 zip files worked.  That does not seem like a very good ratio.  The basic game seems to work fine.  The CS does not.  I haven't even attempted to use the other custom things.

Even the Disneyland Paris sets that have always worked and were proper in the Zip file crash the system.  One worked and the other one I tried didn't.  I really can't understand why they all worked fine in Windows XP but don't work in Windows 7.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 07:01:53 PM by Lost Boy »

Lost Boy

•  
  • CS Depot's the best!
Re: New Windows 7 Computer
Post #2     : September 22, 2013, 01:38:45 PM
Well, since no one here has any interest in helping with my problem described above, I have no choice but to delete RCT3 to get ride of all the bad downloads from this site and reload the game and just play it without all the problems that are being caused by downloading CS from this site.  No problems when using Windows XP but nothing downloaded from this site work as the download files come through corrupted and cause the game to crash.  What a bummer.

elizabeth

•  
  • CS Depot's the best!
Post #3     : September 22, 2013, 05:31:19 PM
I don't have Windows 7, so I wouldn't be able to help, unfortunately. If you ask your question at Shyguy's World which has a much busier forum, I'm sure someone can help you there. :)

WWAL

• David L
  •  
  • CS Depot is the best.
Post #4     : November 14, 2013, 10:45:03 AM
I have Windows 7 and I can DL CS 99% of the time and I'm new at this. Be sure to "Extract all". Then look inside the extracted folder. It should be the one to place in the game. Or use trial & error downloading each folder inside each folder until you get the one that works. If you see all ovl folders and nothing else your probably too deep. The game will freeze/crash after each wrong attempt. DO NOT Change the labeling of any of the folders or their contents.